Sunday, June 15, 2008

We survived the TRIATHLON

6:30 am and here Ryan is preparing for the race...

The before picture.
We have been talking about doing a triathlon for a couple months now and we now can say that WE DID IT!!! Neither of us are hurt and neither of us got sick which is a huge blessing. We are both walking, yet as I walk up the stairs and my body hurts!

Out of 457 competitors Ryan came in 181 and I came in 372 (I obviously wasn't out to win, just to survive)!

SWIM (500 meters in the pool)

I can say that I did beat Ryan in the swim (I did it in about 13 minutes and he was a couple minutes slower). We both attempted the crawl but ended up doing the side stroke (K) and the backstroke (R) too. Here is me looking like a dork.



BIKE (23 miles in St. Peters)

Ryan kicked butt in the bike. He didn't let anyone pass him and finished in about 106 minutes. WOW! Probably one of the top 20 bikers! Me on the other hand was pretty social...talking to the volunteers, and then I met a girl who was going a little faster than me so I asked if I could ride with her. We talked half the way, while encouraging and pushing each other). I had fun. A little sunny. Ryan and I say each other on the road about 4 times which was fun. I unfortunately had a pebble in me shoe that I tried to get out 3 times and didn't...the blister is just for proof.

RUN (5 miles)
The first time was awful! Both of us thought that our legs would not last all 5 miles because they were so sore from the bike. Ryan had the philosophy of running and then walking for a second after getting water. I did, slow and steady. And wow, I was slow...but I finished!!
Ryan finished a 1/2 hour before me so he was waiting for me with open arms at the finish line. What a great race. It took Ryan 2 hours 8 mintues and me 2 hours 40 minutes. Ryan is already talking about the next race and I am just trying to recover.

8 comments:

Luca l'Alpinauta said...

great! triatlon it's very hard sport!

Brian & Erin said...

Congrats you two! Nice work!

-E

SarahHub said...

Congrats! What an awesome accomplishment!

Tom King said...

Great job! You should know that I was an ironman triathalete when I was 12 years old...oh to see those pictures of me in my speedo...in the archives [you will never find them]. Keep up the the great work!

Tom King said...

Actually, it was ironkids, and everything was much less. 1,000 swim, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. I'm not sure I could have been skinnier when it was over.

Anonymous said...

in awe... you guys are great!
-a,b & j funke

Anonymous said...

Way to go! Kristy, you look great! I still have yet to see my pre-baby waist.

Aimee

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Ryan and Kristy! That is such an accomplishment, even to try a triathalon! And, Kristy, you do look great!